RC 260818702Mandy Wiener
Tuesday, 18 August 2026
Madlanga Commission WhatsApp evidence and two major accountability stories dominated, alongside fresh alarms over Johannesburg’s collapse and NSFAS misfunding.
- 12:00
NSFAS improperly funded more than 40,000 students at 76 institutions, totalling R5.1 billion; the Public Protector says only R2 billion has been recovered so far.
- 12:12
At the Madlanga Commission, WhatsApp messages from the late Jotham Msibi’s phone linked him, suspended Sgt Fannie Nkosi and others to alleged grabber-technology sales, tender rigging and cartel networking.
- 12:42
Daily Maverick’s declassified cabinet minutes from 1994 revived claims that the ANC and FW de Klerk’s cabinet reached an indemnity deal over apartheid-era crimes before the election.
- 12:53
A new CDE report says Johannesburg is in severe financial distress, with collapsing infrastructure, more than 54,000 outages in six months, 35.9% unemployment and 90,000 jobs lost in a year.